1. There is only one God.
Hear, O Israel; the Lord our God, the Lord is one (Deut. 6:4)!
Thus says the Lord, the King of Israel, and his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts, “I am the First and I am the Last. Besides Me there is no God” (Isa. 44:6).
There is no other God but one (1 Cor. 8:4b)
2. One of God’s names: The name [singular] of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit. (Matt. 28:19).
3. There is One God, yet He is three distinct Persons.
The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen (2 Cor. 13:14).
4. The Father is God.
Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ (Rom. 1:7b).
5. The Son is God
Of whom are the fathers and from whom, according to the flesh, Christ came, who is over all, the eternally blessed God. Amen (Rom. 9:5).
6. The Holy Spirit is God.
Why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?…You have not lied to men but to God (Acts 5:3-4).
7. The Father is not the Son. The Son is not the Father. The Spirit is not the Father or the Son.
When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. And suddenly a voice came from Heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased” (Matt. 3:16-17).
And I [Jesus] will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever – the Spirit of truth (John 14:16-17a).
Can anyone on earth fully understand or explain the Trinity?
Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and His ways past finding out! For who has known the mind of the Lord? Or who has become His counselor (Rom. 11:33-34)?
- Can I believe a teaching from the Bible if I can’t fully comprehend it? How is that possible?
- In what way is our inability to fully understand God’s nature actually a blessing?
- How is it a blessing to know that God, though one in His being, is three Persons?
- What characteristics of God can be more fully revealed because He is a Trinity?